The importance of sunscreen!
We are constantly reminded to wear sunscreen but why is it so important?
Here we are going to briefly discuss the importance of sunscreen, how to apply and where to purchase one!
What is sunscreen?
Sunscreens can be in gel, lotion or spray forms which help protect the skin from sun damage coming from UV rays (which are UVA & UVB ).
UVA and UVB?
UVB is responsible for sunburn while, UVA penetrates deeper into the skin and eventually causes long term effect like wrinkling, aging & skin cancer.
Why is sunscreen so important?
Wearing sunscreen every day can protect you from exposure to these ultraviolet rays that cause skin damage.
10 things to keep in mind when using sunscreen
- Apply generously over the skin and reapply at least every two hours
- Sunscreen should be applied at all seasons to reduce the harmful effect of the sun which can cause skin aging (as UVA rays have the same intensity during summer and winter)
- Apply 15-20 mins before heading out, so the products settle in
- Also, apply indoors (as sun rays can still manage to peek through the window blinds)
- If possible use lotions, moisturisers, and products that are SPF based
- The regulatory board recommends the minimum of SPF 15 to start with
- If possible limit time in the sun especially between 10a.m-2p.m when the sun rays are pretty intense
- Wear protective clothing while out to cover skin like hats, long sleeves, sunglasses, etc
- Choose a sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB http://onemedical.com
- Lastly, there’s no sunscreen that will guarantee you a 100 % block from UV rays.
But “when used correctly, sunscreen with SPF values in the range of 30 to 50 will offer adequate sunburn protection, even for people most sensitive to sunburn”https://www.ewg.org
Where to shop for sunscreen in Ukraine?
You can get your sunscreen or SPF from beauty supply stores like ;
- Eva Store (check here https://eva.ua/024-273-12309/zaschita-solnca/ )
- Watsons (see here https://www.watsons.ua/uk/search?q=spf )
- and at your local pharmacy store
Note: If you have sensitive skin, it’s advisable to see your doctor/dermatologist to recommend one for you.
Do you have any questions/additions regarding sunscreens you can state in the comment section below?